I am a Care Partner
Care partners are the people that care for us and about us. These are the people we choose to be our family, and the people who step in when there’s nobody else.
What Matters to Me...
As a care partner, I care and assist my loved one, and provide emotional, physical support, practical help, as well as help coordinating the different aspects of their care.
“I want to ensure my loved one experiences the best possible quality of lie possible in spite of her deteriorating condition.”
“I have a lot of things to do to provide care for my loved one…from their grocery-shopping, laundry, meal preparation, to looking for appropriate medical and social services, to providing transportation, to helping with medication and medical decisions…the list goes on. It feels like a full-time job that I’m not equipped to handle.”
“I try to do what I can, but I have my own life. I frequently feel overwhelmed and burdened by all I must do. I also worry about my mother’s safety. She is very independent but also very frail. I think she might be better off in a home but she doesn’t want to go.”
“I feel a sense of loss that I’m struggling to deal with. The parent I knew growing up is gone.”
Compassionate Care means to me...
- With access to a coach and a care plan that we direct I feel more equipped to help her.
- I feel more prepared and knowledgeable about what to expect.
- I am able to take my rightful place at the centre of care. My strengths, goals, and preferences as a care partner are considered. I can choose the level of involvement that is right for me and my family – with self-directed, shared, or managed care options equally available.
- All our information is in one place, so we don’t need to repeat our story and everyone is on the same page
- I will receive information and training to enable me to be a more knowledgable and skilled partner. Training is customized for me and our family, and is matched to my learning style and time constraints
- My quality of life is also important. I am comfortable asking for the help I need before I feel overwhelmed.
- I will be connected to other caregivers like me.
- If I notice my loved one in distress and am unable to help on my own, her neighbours and I will have a number I can call for assistance.
What Do I get?
- A chance to improve my own quality of life
- Access to volunteers and neighbours who can help me, and help navigating care
- A better understanding of my loved one’s condition, the trade offs she is willing to make to live life on her terms, and how I can help – and where to turn when I need information, see someone in distress, or experiencing a challenge I can’t address
- Information, education, and coaching, tailored to me
- Confidence that all her providers share information, are working on the same team, and find it easy to communicate with each other and with me
- More options for care and practical day-to-support, including more eyes and ears in my loved one’s home so I know she is safe and doing well
- Connection to care partners like me who understand my situation
- Like my contribution is valuable and valued. I do not feel judged because I am unable to do everything.
- Less guilty, because I know I am doing what she wants
- Connected and a real part of my loved one’s day to day life, even when O love some distance away.
- More informed and less fearful of medical jargon and decisions to be made. I know what to ask, when decisions will need to be made, and what the options are.
- Better prepared to face the various stages of aging, loss and dying
- Comfort in knowing we matter in the community and that we won’t fall through the cracks
- Grateful that I have this time to care.
Tools and Resources for me.
- Sharing Our Journey Program (my own personal community coach and navigation)
- With their permission, access to my loved ones medical and social care information in one place
- A plan that ensures I get the help I need as a care partner to provide the best care I possibly can
- A plan for prevention and the future
- Education and training
- Easier access to information
Give Us A Call
519-974-2581 ext. 2420